Colorado

I'm thrilled to bring you the second edition of Blogging Around the States.  Last week I was able to share a list of book bloggers from my own state of Utah.  This week we're looking at my neighboring state, Colorado.  When I contacted Heidenkind and asked if she would be my first 'real' interview I didn't know she lived next door in Colorado.

Let me introduce my guest:    Heidenkind can be found at Heidenkind's Hideaway where her first blog appeared in November 2008 with a list of some of the scary books she's read.  Heidenkind is a relative newby to the bookosphere but she is already making her known by hosting an Art History Challenge that sounds enticing and she provides several different categories and lots of helpful suggestions. (Thanks from me and other art-challenged readers.)
Heidenkind interests include art, history, music, movies, television, romance, sci-fi, fantasy, vampires, mystery and YA. 

Before I start with the interview questions I wanted to share a quote on Heidenkind's header that I think is thought-provoking and wise:   "We always want to see what is hidden by what we see."

A now for some question/answer time.

Me: Tell us a little about yourself.
Heidenkind: I'm a nineteenth-century geek, and when I was teaching class, I would try to dress up like characters from the nineteenth century.  I have brown hair, which I'm growing out, blue eyes, and I'm tall-ish and skinny.  My favorite book is Jane Eyre, my favorite movie is Thunderheart, my favorite food is miso soup, and my favorite animal is the octopus--so basically, I'm all over the place.  Oh, and my favorite color is purple.  I grew up in the middle of a prairie and I've been a book addict since I was, oh, five or so.  I have a master's degree in art history, which believe it or not is the perfect major for bookaholics.

Me:  What do you love about your state?
Heidenkind: My state is Colorado.  I love the mountains and the fact that things around here are pretty laid back and egalitarian.  I love the mix of cultures here as well.

Me: Is there anything you don't like about where you live?
Heidenkind: Well, it's not exactly the best place for someone pursuing a career in art history.  There aren't many job opportunities in that field around here--there aren't a lot of museums, and what there are operate on a shoestring budget.

Me: If job, money, family did not enter the equation, would you prefer to live in another state?  Which one?  And why?
Heidenkind: I really don't know.  The other places I've lived, I didn't like.  I would love to live in Paris.  My town is kind of a black hole, though....

Me: If I visited your state what cities, sights, and/or activities would you recommend I check out, see and/or do?
Heidenkind: There's a lot to do around here if you're an outdoors person--drive to the top of Pike's Peak and freeze your butt off, go to Estes Park, visit the mountain towns like Vail, Aspen, and Breckenridge; visit Mesa Verde and see the Cliff Houses; hike through Pinon Canon and see the rock art and dinosaur tracks.  Or you could just go to Cripple Creek and gamble.  Or go to a mall. *gag*

Me: Who are some authors that currently live in your state?
Heidenkind: Frank Perretti used to live here; I'm not sure if he still does.  Sherri Tepper, Barbara Samuels, Delores Johnson, and Dan Simmons.  That's all I can think of at the moment.

Damon Runyun (wrote Guys and Dolls) is from my home town, but he's dead so he's not really living here anymore.  I did always think it would be fun to see if he based any of his characters on people he knew here when he was growing up, though.

Me: Do you have a favorite book set in your state?
Heidenkind: Erm... no.  I don't read books set in my home state.  I did once and I wanted to burn it.  Does this make me a terrible person?
I want to thank Heidenkind for taking the time from her busy life to answer these questions.  If you have more you can ask them in the comment section.  I had fun visiting back and forth through email and getting to know more about a fellow blogger and I hope you did, too. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment